Seasonal Affective Disorder
There are biological and emotional causes for seasonal affective disorder. Reduced sunlight can affect our biological circadian rhythm and a neurotransmitter (serotonin) decreases. Serotonin is responsible for our emotional well-being.
Light therapy, anti-depressants and vitamin D are well-known treatments for SAD and are thought to affect serotonin. Aromatherapy is becoming popular as a treatment now because of its effectiveness and ease of treatment.
EOs can uplift, energize and calm our mood during the long winter months and can dramatically help ease the effects of SAD.
Even though spring is coming, February, March & April are still very cold and summer can feel far away! Symptoms of SAD can affect day-to-day living for those who struggle with it. Essential oils can make a huge difference.
Symptoms of SAD may include:
- low energy
- sleeping problems
- weight gain
- depressed immune system
- change in appetite
- having a hard time concentrating
- losing interest in activities you typically enjoy
My top 10 oils to support someone suffering with SAD
Try choosing a few from the list + blending them together.
For example: bergamot, orange, neroli, patchouli + cardamom
Put a few drops of your own blend into your diffuser daily.
Make your own rollerball
Put 10-15 drops into a 10 ml rollerball and add a carrier oil like jojoba oil.
Roll on your wrists, your heart + back of your neck thorughout the day
There are blends already created by Young Living that include some of these ingredients and while not created specifically for SAD, I believe would be very helpful to them.
- Inner Child
If you are suffering with SAD or a mood disorder, it’s possible I can help you find relief, either through aromatherapy, AFT or Intuitive Energy Massage + Intuitive Counselling.
I’d love to speak more with you. Book a session or free consult today.
I know you know how it feels.
There’s a lot going on. You are focussing. You are doing your best.
And your body suddenly feels as though it’s the piece of your ‘self’ puzzle that’s about to go missing. You may succumb to whatever cold, flu or illness is making the rounds. You’re tempted to power through. But you can’t actually keep your balance.
You are in many places at one. Energetically, you are not intact.
Close your eyes.
Notice how your breath has not been full or deep or satisfying.
Now satisfy yourself with oxygen.
Let it move through you like untethered liquid honey. Let it bring sweetness and nourishment to every space inside you. Take as much time as you can. And then take a little more. breathe for yourself.
Sink your awareness into the middle of your belly.
Notice behind you how much of your energy has been flowing out behind you. Strands of your attention left attached to that woman you spoke to yesterday or that conversation with a parent last week that triggered a familiar feeling you forgot to notice. Call that strand back to your center.
Call back strands of yourself that you’ve been moving too swiftly ahead to notice, as you take care of all that you have to take care of Every.Single.Day. Take back the strands you did not even sense were clinging to someone else.
Where are your striving?
This is the place where colds germinate. This is an incubation zone that has been leased to the dominion of Strife. Strife is the woman who hasn’t learned to forgive God, let go of her anger, or create spaciousness. She likes to clutter her self with people who disappoint and fill her tub with tumultuous waters of irritation and anger. She quietly clamors for attention at the expense of her own peace.
Strife is so familiar. At least the feeling of her is familiar. She leaves long strands of herself in her past connecting her to those who have caused her discomfort, panic and steely-eyed anger.
Strife lives in the inner city. She is accustomed to being accosted and hearing sirens daily. She is beautiful.
She works hard to protect you. She was born at your most stressful times of life. Hers is the energy that takes over. She innately knows how to walk a tightrope. In fact, if she’s not on the tightrope, she feels sick. She keeps everything she touches smaller than it could be. Her ability to dream is stunted. She takes a cold, hard look at reality and makes up her mind to stay focussed. She can tether herself to the inside of your soul and take the steering wheel. She can make herself feel indispensible. She is strong.
In fact, so connected is the feeling to Strife that other energies can not be seen or felt.
CalmKnowing can not get our attention when Strife is in control.
CalmKnowing is connected to the future, not the past.
Clear out your insides with your own breath. Inhale. space. Inhale trust. Inhale the connection you have to the miracles of stardust and flow and serendipity.
Suddenly, she appears inside your belly. CalmKnowing can feel awkward when she first moves in but your moving breath settles her deeply into the deepest parts of your self.
CalmKnowing does not live in a rental suite in the inner city. She sails her seas on a boat of Trust.
And Trust has a way of letting her breathe.
Ask yourself today,
Where am I connecting to old patterns of strife?
Is it possible to sense an energy of calm?
If you can not sense your calm anywhere, intuitively visualize it.
See CalmKnowing outside yourself and breathe her in throughout your day.
See CalmKnowing riding her boat of Trust deep into your unconscious.
See her floating through the cells of your body.
See her pulling frazzled strands of DNA into line.
See her magically creating wild beauty.
Breathe in this vision.
Let it help you keep your sense of self intact.
As a child I constantly heard that I was too sensitive and people were frustrated with me because I was emotional. Sometimes I used to wonder why I was the only one crying and why other people weren’t crying!
Didn’t they feel the pain of the situation that was bringing me to tears?
Now I know, they did not feel what I felt. It wasn’t until I was an adult and took myself for years of counselling that I discovered I had a natural ability to carry other people’s burdens. I learned phrases like “empath” and “burden-bearer”. They may momentarily feel empathy for whatever the situation was, but they don’t actually take the feeling home with them, they don’t identify with it and struggle to find their own center again.
Are you a burden-bearer?
If you feel like you are carrying burdens, you are.
- News stories may affect you in such a way that you just can’t shake the feelings from them. If you’ve been exposed to negative stories, they seem to linger and affect your mood. It’s not as easy for you to shake those moods. You likely avoid the news and don’t watch TV much. As a child I was sometimes told to watch the news because it was important to be up to date on current events. My poor mom had NO IDEA what this did to me until one day she noticed that I was standing watching a story about someone having died in an accident and tears were streaming down my face. I was maybe 6 or 7 years old. Thankfully, that was the last time I had to watch the news. I do not watch the news to this day.
- You suddenly are feeling really strong emotions about a person, a topic or something and it almost seems as if these are not even your opinions or feelings. It might even feel like something has taken over inside you. You might be asking yourself, “Why did I say that? Why am I feeling that? I don’t know I felt that…” It feels like it’s just not yours and sometimes you wonder “Am I THAT permeable???” (Yes, you are but it’s actually pretty easy to shift this…ask me how.)
- People are always telling you you’re too sensitive or to toughen up. I certainly heard that one a lot growing up. (…also…”crybaby” was my nickname for a few years)
- You’re a pretty good listener and people seem to tell you their troubles all the time. In fact, you frequently find yourself having phone conversations where you never actually speak after “hello”. The other person talks until they stop and feel better. Unless you have the energetic skills built to withstand this, you usually leave the conversation quite deflated and tired.
- You may attract people who really suck your energy and you are not sure what to do about it. Some people refer to this as “energy vampires” but I was always afraid of vampires as a child so I don’t use that term. I’ve learned many ways to feel great even when I can’t remove that person from my life. I can teach you how to do this too!
- It feels like people are subconsciously picking up on how goodnatured you are and sometimes when you walk into a room you feel as though you’ve stepped into a thick soup. Almost as though your primal fight/flight/freeze/faint response has kicked in. If people are stressed, you seem to feel stressed and don’t know quite how it happened. If people are angry or frustrated, and you weren’t before you walked into the room, you feel off balance and have this urge to hide in the bathroom or something. It may take time before you even become aware that all those feelings are NOT YOURS. They’ve stuck to you like a burr in the forest.
It’s actually not that hard to find your center and stay there. The hard part is remembering those negative feelings are JUST NOT YOU. It’s not your fault and it’s a beautiful sign that your boundaries are being tested. You can master this, by the way! There are nurturing ways to care for your gifts (yes, being an empath is a gift and not a curse) and it just takes practice.
AFT is a step-by-step process using essential oils to trigger a permanent shift in how we experience ourselves and the world.
AFT is a tool for clearing traumatic memory. AFT is a tool for clearing blocks, negative memories and stressful memories. You do not have to believe in the process for it to work and be effective.
Introducing the aroma of specific essential oils at the right point in the process of recall can break apart this memory complex and thereby restructure the implicit learning connected with the memory. Results are consistent with the most recent research on Memory Reconsolidation.
How does it work? We use beautiful, healing essential oils as part of the healing process because essential oils affect the memory centers of the brain extremely quickly.
Memories that are stressful or traumatic are stored based on the feeling of the event, not on the details of the event. The memory is stored as a complex of images/thoughts/feelings/body sensations. Our emotional learning is based on this memory complex. When specific essential oils are used at the right point in the process of recall, they can break apart a memory complex and restructure your connection with the memory.
Our conscious mind makes assumptions. Our conscious mind assumes that the memory creating stress or trauma is the one we consciously present. This isn’t always the case. With AFT we allow the unconscious mind to access our memories and present us with the events we may have forgotten or have not connected with our current concern.
AFT is an amazing tool to use as part of intuitive counselling. We honor what arises in each session regardless of what it is. Sometimes the events that are recalled seem unrelated but it’s the energetic imprint of that event we are healing.